josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Or put in serious rev limits (not 18,000 rpm, that is ridiculous). Or they could have put in mandatory mileage requirements (i.e. 20 mpg).

I agree with some of the people here, downgrading again is silly and reduces F1 from its stature as the pinnacle of motorsport. Yes, we want road-relevant technology, but F1 is also about the 'crazy engineering' that differentiates it from GT racing or club car racing.
I'm not against the four cylinders or displacement - we had 1.5 V6's about 30 years ago. I just think that, power-reduction wise, F1 has totally screwed up.

I also stopped believing the hype about F1 (even though I'm going to a race next month), as very little of it has anything to do what we drive. That and, maybe until a couple of years ago, it's the same parade every two weeks. With road racing, people can actually picture themselves driving a Corvette or a Ferrari. Look at some interviews with many motorsport engineers. John Bernard, who was the father of paddle shifting, is not amazed at extracting so much power from an engine, but rather getting more miles per gallon of gasoline; etc... in addition to some engineers who think aerodynamics are the most useless thing to transfer to cars. This last point is exacerbated by the fact that 70-80% of a racecar's performance these days is all about aero.

F1 should be pioneering NEW, RELEVANT technologies that lower classes can adapt. For example, Audi was the first manufactuer to introduce diesels into racing (even though Taurus Sport in 2004 [before Audi] tried to get VW to help them with the same thing).

Maybe I'm just getting old...
Appreciate 0