View Single Post
      04-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #94
Muppet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Hello All,

An update on my previous posts.

The reason for the irregularity in assistance came down to the servo valve on the rack being loose. I needed to perform a bit of surgery on a lip on the front drivers side engine bay surround to get at and tighten the second screw and now all good. Both where about 2 turns loose. May have happened when the rack was tested for leaks. The intermittent faults appears to have come from the pin in the solenoid valve sticking and either staying open or closed.

I then used Ediabas to align the steering sensor. That increased the assistance closer to dead ahead. You then need to clear all the faults with INPA as a number do come up.

I then looked at the JBBF ecu with NCS Dummy and made the following adjustments:

COMFORT_GESCHWINDIKEIT
wert_01
wert_02
COMFORT_STROM
Wert_01
SPORT_GESCHWINDIKEIT
Wert_01
Wert-02
SPORT_STROM
Wert_02

These are different to the settings on the 1M.

Gerschwindikeit is the assistance curve and strom is the level of assistance by current to the valve. These settings, I have found, give the max level of assistance which is what is needed if you are using the standard 135i pump.

This is still heavier weight than standard but not ridiculous as it was with the valve non operational.

The steering is now well weighted at anything other than at full stop and around the city is a pleasure, very accurate and easy to swing. At full stop there is still a bit of load but nothing unmanageable. About the weight of an early front wheel drive car.

A supplementary benefit is DSC is not updated when option 216 is installed. It is still the standard 135i DSC settings and is set up with the standard 135i steering curve. With the faster rack DSC is fooled into believing that the wheel is not turned as far and thus DSC does not interfere as much if you are making corrections with the wheel. I have had no DSC interference when hanging the tail out on irregular corners which was previously quite noticeable. Installing Koni Yellows I think also helped. The rear feels far more controlled and settled.

All up it was worth persevering to get the servo valve to operate correctly. With the other mods made the car feels totally different from standard.

If you want to see how servotronic works there is a PDF on the ZF web site which explains the operation. Quite interesting.
Appreciate 5
tetsuo1111227.00
lab_rat394.50