View Single Post
      06-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #92
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

I went to install the BMW SSK lever today and was surprised by how much difference there was in the angle of the handle when compared to the stock 1M lever. Luckily Dackelone had posted a installation link that inspired me to make my own lever "recalibration tool" so that I could make the end of the lever line up to where the stock one would be. It just so happen that the jack handle I had was a perfect fit to the lever cylinder so I could use it to bend the lever end without too much trouble. I also had to use the drill bit you see to keep the shaft lined up correctly while bending the shaft since it kept wanting to twist around on me during the process.

I also did the N55 mid pipe swap while I was at it and it probable took me less than 2 hours to do all the part swaps in my garage and another 4 hours making the necessary tooling I needed to modify the lever. Thanks to 1 Addicts for hints I needed to make this an easy and fun project to work on today. I did find this car to be a pleasure to work on with how it was put together especially given that this is not my first time working on "German" made automobiles.

After taking the car out for a drive, I found that I would have preferred a little less reduction in throw say 25-50% than what the BMW part offered. I'll have to see if I just need to get use to it to be satisfied with the setup, I will say that the mod I did to the lever worked out great and my hand and arm position feels very natural with the new setup. The N55 mid also made a noticeable difference for me in pickup and go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1