View Single Post
      04-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #50
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
Whatever the price is, it will need to be reasonable. The point of this M is get people into the brand, and close-to-50k or more base price ain't gonna do that. Sub 46k would be ideal, like 45,999 + Dest.
My guess is that this is close to the number. Lets compare what it takes to make a 135i into an M1, M Turbo, or whatever they will call it.

Engine- Both are currently twin turbo(N55 will change that) and even with additions it cannot cost too much more. Also the cost of this engine will be shared with the new M3, since they are reported to be sharing similar versions of it, which will help contain cost. I am hoping and only guessing but it would be great if they have figured out a way to use an improved magnesium block to lower weight. This would add some expense but not too much.

Suspension- The M Turbo appears to have robed the current M3 parts bin for quality and to control cost. The test mule pictures revel this. The tooling cost is out of these parts and there should not be a big difference. The M Diff will add cost though.

Brakes- So far what we have seen looks like M3 brake parts too, even though one member eluded to something special for the brakes. I would be surprised if they did not use the current M3 brakes. It would save money again and they would work very well in a car that should weigh 250 pounds or so less than the current M3.

Body- The carbon fiber roof might add cost but I doubt it. That would be comparable to the cost of standard 135i sunroof. On the M3 they swap those out at no cost. All body parts that are being improved upon are replacing existing ones and may add a little cost being of different material, but I cannot imagine too much. Plastic is not carbon fiber.

Interior- Will cost more depending how serious they get. I am not sure if the current M3 seats will fit, as that would again save them a fortune in tooling and testing expense.

Wheels- If they follow the current tradition of not using runflats on M cars, they might actually save money. LOL

Transmission- If M Turbo comes standard with the 6 speed manual, as Scott has mentioned he has seen both, there is no difference in cost as they are the same. The clutch would need to be an upgraded, but it would be marginally more expensive. Hopefully they will lighten the flywheel.

My guess is that to move a $ 36k 135i to an M Turbo is doable for $ 10K. The current 335i to M3 comparison is more expensive as it uses a limited production very expensive engine and should have more cost involved.

Finally BMW executives have said that they want an affordable M product. I think they have a strategy using current M3 parts, new production techniques that make changes more affordable, and a bodystyle that is late in its production cycle, that will let them do it.

We will see....
Appreciate 0