04-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
The biggest thing is to launch below 2000 rpm in TIMYOYO like you're taking off from a stop light and shift before 6k. Granny shift a little, don't power shift; you dump boost and it doesn't rebuild quickly in Map 6 without downpipes for some reason (I've run it both ways). You'll be fine if you hit those points. A few gallongs of octane booster (E85/Toluene/Xylene) doesn't hurt either. I have intake and downpipe so I ran Map 7 which is at least 20hp stronger than Map 6 on the required higher octanes. Expect a lot of heat soak unless you have an upgraded FMIC so turn off the car, open the hood, and let it sit 15 minutes between runs.

I'm not going back to the track until I have either an upgraded FMIC, midepipes with cat/resonator delete or both. Then I'll see if I can't be one of the few 6MT hitting sub 12's.
Probably the ONLY 6MT hitting sub 12's if you can manage that on street tires. The 12.3 is damn impressive though! I'd be happy if I could even get ANY 12.xx run... it's just retraining my brain to not floor the gas on launch and shifting well before redline... it goes against everything that I learned about drag racing on all my previous cars!