View Single Post
      01-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

For those that are not familiar with the upper shock mounting point, here is a look at the hole where it mounts in the body, looking from below. The pressed in steel insert fully supports the lower half of the upper shock mount.

Name:  1 Upper Seat.jpg
Views: 6948
Size:  328.0 KB

The same mounting point looking from above shows that the support area for the top half of the mount is reduced by a counterbore and large countersink.

Name:  2 Upper Seat from above.jpg
Views: 6907
Size:  165.8 KB

For the bench test of the upper shock mounts to be representative the test fixture needs to have this feature. My fixture block has been adjusted for bore diameter and thickness to compensate for the dust boot that is normally installed on the lower mount. I did not want to test with this boot in place because it obscures what is happening.

Name:  3 Fixture Block.jpg
Views: 6876
Size:  162.5 KB

Here is the test fixture assembled finger tight with the OE microcellular urethane mounts at their uncompressed thickness. The orientation is as installed in the vehicle.

Name:  4 OE Relaxed.jpg
Views: 6925
Size:  197.2 KB

Here the assembly has been fully torqued showing the urethane mounts compressed to their installed thickness. An internal bushing controls the amount of installed compression. Because the lower half of the mount is fully supported and the upper half is only partially supported, they compress different amounts when installed. The top mount loses 38% of its uncompressed thickness, while the lower mount loses 20%.

Name:  5 OE Installed.jpg
Views: 6993
Size:  174.6 KB

Here is the test setup for the OE mount. Applied force is measured by an electronic load cell and deflection with a dial indicator.

Name:  6 OE Test.jpg
Views: 7003
Size:  242.4 KB

Here is the test fixture assembled finger tight with the Powerflex yellow urethane mounts at their uncompressed thickness.

Name:  7 PF Relaxed.jpg
Views: 9073
Size:  198.7 KB

Here the assembly has been fully torqued showing the Powerflex mounts compressed to their installed thickness. The top mount loses 28% of its uncompressed thickness, while the lower mount loses 19%.

Name:  8 PF Installed.jpg
Views: 7064
Size:  203.6 KB

Here is the test setup for the Powerflex mount. This is at maximum applied force of approximately 1800 lbs.

Name:  9 PF Test (loaded).jpg
Views: 6726
Size:  202.1 KB

Load vs Deflection was plotted for each of the mounts and a linear regression line was fitted to give the stiffness. Below the stiffness of the OE lower shock mount, OE upper shock mount and Powerflex Yellow upper shock mount are shown in Imperial units. As can be seen, the Powerflex mount is comparable in stiffness to the OE lower mount and is approximately 7 times stiffer than the OE upper mount.

Name:  10 Rear Shock Bushing Tests.jpg
Views: 6849
Size:  78.8 KB

Same again in Metric units:

Name:  11 Rear Shock Bushing Tests Metric.jpg
Views: 6743
Size:  75.9 KB
Appreciate 4