12-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #91
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I really think the teaser is a dumb idea too. I like the idea of following cars through spypics and trying to make good guesses through photoshop. I remember following the M3 for so long and when they unveiled the thing it was interesting to see because details like the rear diffuser and hood vents and side vents etc were not seen in spypics.

Now BMW has launched a HUGE marketing teaser campaign for the 1M which is based on a platform due to be replaced soon. Sure it is an amazing car but the M3 is a legend and didnt receive this highlight. Also, we have now seen so many details that all is left is the hood.

Unveiled so far: bumpers, side skirts, side grilles, mirrors, wheels, roof, arches, headlights (LCI spyshots), paint, etc. Infact, people have even driven it!
While I do agree that BMW is trying a tad too hard to tease the car, due to its smaller market and lack of historical significance, this is the perfect product launch for M to experiment with all sorts of marketing ideas and evaluate customer responses and the overall effectiveness. Then they apply the best ones to the M3 and M5 launches..

Another idea is that this is the first 1M launch ever, whereas the M3 and M5 have had several launches. (I understand this applied to the X5/X6 M as well).
Appreciate 0