View Single Post
      09-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #48
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post
You would have more to worry about than a slow limp home, in a car not designed for E85.

Much of those reasons is why i would not recommend an E20 blend. There are people that have had problems with a E15 blend. There is no telling how >E10 is going to effect the HPFP(hell, E10 might even be the cause of the failures). Remember that ethanol is conductive unlike gasoline. Can you imagine blowing(literally into flames) up your 335i cuz of a custom blend? It would be a $40k fireworks display!

I'm pretty sure they fazed out MTBE..

I think ideally he should be using iso-octane to blend. Its the safest IMO.
Now you are just making up crap. Let me get this straight, you are worried about blowing up a car because ethanol is CONDUCTIVE? So it's more conductive than gas. So what? If 20% ethanol in fuel makes cars blow up due to increased conductivity, then 85% ethanol in fuel should really be setting cars ablaze. Are you claiming that there are a bunch of E85 FlexFuel vehicles spontaneously blowing up? Where are all the Ethanol refineries bursting into flames? Get real.

And who is having problems with E15 blend? E15 isn't sold anywhere in the world that I know of. Brazil is the only country selling anything other than E10 and E85. They have E22 and E24, not E15, and they are reporting a remarkable LACK of problems. No one is reporting cars blowing up in Brazil.

They phazed out MTBE, but modern cars are STILL designed to adjust to the stuff if they run into it. That's the point. Modern cars are smarter than pre-1990's cars.

And where in the hell exactly do you think he would find iso-octane in Ecuador? Pull up to his local gas refinery and have them top up his tank? Give me a break.

go bother someone on some other board about 0-60 foot times. I'm not going to play that game here on this board.
Appreciate 0