07-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
For OE M-sport springs, you can go with the B6. B6 is designed to work with springs that don't lower from factory, B8 is designed for springs that lower the car. The body of the B6 is longer than the B8, that's the primary difference. Dampening on the B8 is somewhere between 5 and 10% stiffer to compensate for less shock travel.

So in summary, with stock springs go with the B6.

EDIT: Meant to add, if you plan on upgrading to lowering springs at some point in the future you may want to start with the B8s then. OR - look at buying a kit of both shocks and springs together, the B12 kit for example is a matched set of Eibach pro-kit springs and Bilstein B8s, and the price of that kit is no much more than buying the B6s (B6 is more expensive than the B8 from what I've seen). I've seen the B12 kit for as low as $650USD with free shipping to the US. I just put in a B12 kit myself, bought from a local Toronto vendor that came pretty close in price to buying from the US.

Thanks for the reply. You've pretty much confirmed what I've been reading for the last few hours.

I was looking at the B12 kit as well, as the pricing for that combo is very attractive. I was thinking of getting the B12 kit and selling off the springs. Unfortunately for me the B12 kit comes with B8 and not B6's.

But would there really be any adverse handling effects of installing B8's on OEM sport springs?

Apparently the B4 struts are for the OE springs...
Appreciate 0