04-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfmxrdr88 View Post
I have a built e82 1M clone that's lacking lsd and strong enough axles to support the power it's making. Before winter hit (I live in the #1 snowiest city in the nation) the car put down 633whp on a mustang dyno, with about 8 more lbs of boost left. I'm looking to order a diff/axles this week before it starts getting nice out. I have a few different routes I'm considering but I'm unsure of the limitations. So, here's the situation

Primary use of the vehicle is street driving, roll racing, potentially some 1/4 digs at some point so I'm unsure of what ratio to go with for my LSD.

Option #1 M factory diff, with either m factory axles or Driveshaft shop axles. My main concern here are the limitations of the Mfactory diff and axles, as well as the factory Drive shaft.

Option #2 Ad-e Ford 8.8 IRS conversion, obviously going to hold all of the ponies. Just costs almost twice as much.

If anyone could shed some light on the ratio I should run as well as what other higher horsepower cars are running, that would be greatly appreciated!
I rebuilt a 328i auto diff with an MFactory LSD. Obviously, you wouldn't want to touch the Typ. 188 diff with that power, however, I did get to hold the MFactory unit in-hand, and it's impressive. Build quality and materials feel incredible, and their marketing screams durability and strength. I've got no input to offer on axles, as I'm not even close to pushing 300hp to the rear wheels, let alone 700+ and wouldn't even know where to begin. I've heard good things about Driveshaft Shop, and IIRC a few people around here are running the MFactory axles with good results. It also depends on what you want from the car. If you'll be drag-racing it, the Ford conversion would be the way to go for reliability. That said, people seem to do relatively fine on the street, without launching, with stock axles.