View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #39
RBNetEngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
In your opinion, was the full day worth the near $1k?

I personally have attended the last 2 years, 3rd is ordered and waiting for Sept.

I see everyone complain about the price increase of the standard half day, interested in a full day attenders opinion.
Well, for ME, if I put it into perspective, it was worth it. It all depends on what you expect to get out of the experience.

In the past, I paid $975 to attend a three-day Porsche/BMW club HPDE event at COTA, where I drove my own car, and had an instructor with me, for four 25 minute track sessions each day, so twelve 25 minute track sessions over three days. I received personal instruction, learned how to improve my driving techniques on the track, etc. Definitely worth the price, and I hope to do it again soon (maybe in September!)

At the other extreme, you can go to Las Vegas and pay a lot of money to drive an exotic car on a track:

https://exoticsracing.com/

For example, five laps in a Porsche 911 GT3 RS is $449.

Again, it’s all about perspective and experience. For the complete program that BMW M Track Days provided for me, it was worth the price. You’re certainly not going to walk into a BMW dealership, ask to test drive a new M5, and take it out on the public roads and thrash it like you can do at the M Track Days event. So, short of actually buying one of these cars, this is your only opportunity to experience an M car on the track. Obviously, BMW is hoping you like your experience so much that you’ll go to a dealership and purchase one.

M Track Days are not intended to be anything like an HPDE which, for me, is the best investment of money for track time. And HPDE experience is directly translated into improved driving skills and abilities anytime you’re behind the wheel.

Hope this helps.

-rb
Appreciate 0