Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Who is using German Castrol motor oil?

Who is using German Castrol motor oil?

Hi Gang,

Well… it was time for me to change my oil again… this time I decided to go with German Castrol LL-4 oil. The main reason for me changing oil types was bc I am dirivng in Germany with a US spec car. Even though they sell Mobil-1 0W40 LL-1 oil… it just made sense to use the correct LL4 approved oil.

IF I was living in the states I would be using the BMW oil sold at any BMW Dealership. But this oil is

My local BMW dealer wanted 23 euros PER liter for the BMW/Castrol oil. I bought the same spec oil thru my German local parts store (Stahl Grube). A five liter jug of German Castrol (G.C.) normally sells for 80 euros!! My price without any Germany tax (MwSt 19% sales tax) was 50 euros: for a five liter jug. I went ahead and bought two five liters jugs. Buying the oil in one liter jugs did not make any fiscal sense. A one liter bottle sells for 19 euros and my cost would be 15 euros. I got a better deal on the five liter jug – so that’s what I bought.

I was not expecting much of a noticeable difference… but still I was curious. And all this talk about Mobil-1 being used up after a thousand miles in our D.I. motors made me very uncomfortable. Espcially after reading Bob the Oil Guy’s web pages.

So… I changed my 135i’s oil and filter (I always used BMW filters) and even before I started the engine I noticed a amazing difference! How did I do that? What was this difference? Well… while adding the oil thru a funnel… I accidently dribbled some oil drops onto the plastic valve cover. What I noticed was that the oil did not pool up like Mobil-1 deoes… The Castrol oil simply beaded up like crazy. Like water on a freshly applied Rain-X windshield! I was really blown away by that. When Castrol says it is Liquid engineering they are not kidding!

THEN… when I started the motor…. The engine started with less mechanical fuss. There was really less engine noise WITH the Castrol than when I have used the Mobil-1. The engine really runs smoother and with less tapping noises on cold start then with Mobil-1.

The next day I went on a good long road trip to Sinsheim, then HockenheimRing and ending up at Nuerburgring. The first thing I noticed when I drove on the autobahn was the oil temp gauge was reading a lot cooler than before. The outside temps were the same, the day before. Both days near 30’C ambient. But with the Castrol the oil temp gauge was reading ONE to TWO needle widths lower than it did with Mobil-1. These temps were at cruising speeds and not foot to the floor V-max pulls. 

So…. Any of my fellow 135i drivers… I would HIGHLY recommend you buying this German Castrol oil ASAP. IF I had it to do all over again… I would never have used Mobil-1.

David

German Castrol 0W40 Long Life-4 for euro cars and fuel

Liquid engineering…

BMW LL-4 specs…

Temp gauge reading about as high as it will go with German Castrol.

Temps with German Castrol…

An old picture taken a few months ago with Mobil-1 0w40 LL-1 oil.
Appreciate 0