View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I'm not a whisperer... but I am a claim adjuster.

The 1M is produced in the plant in Leipzig, Germany. and since I have been lucky enough to tour it, I can tell you that the sheet metal panels are certainly bent there by the machinery in the plant, so yes, it's a near 95-100% certainty the part would need to come from Germany.

It does happen fairly often that a part for a vehicle will go on National backorder here in the US. Essentially.. parts are often produced in batches. The manufacturer will make a run of parts from time to time on their own schedule. Of course each run is intended to be large enough to maintain a supply of parts in their suppply chain until they make another run. Parts are typically most difficult to obtain on NEW models (1 year old or less), where all the parts being produced are generally routed to the line to be installed on vehicles as opposed to building up parts in the supply chain. In the case of a rare vehicle such as the 1M... particularly a rare vehicle that is discontinued, backorders for parts can occur. The H2 Hummer is a vehicle that I most recently saw with a back order.. I had a claim where the customer ( a claimant.. my insured was at fault) waited about 90 days for a running board.. ... this particular owner was not very understanding and was incredulous that a part could be on backorder. Since our insured was responsible we had the owner in a rental for months! Eventually the owner then took the vehicle back from the shop with repairs incomplete just so they could drive their vehicle while the part came off backorder..

As TIT2GRE indicated.. the worst thing about National backorder parts is that the manufacturers typically have NO TIMETABLE (that is given to the customer). I am sure internally that someone likely knows, but calls to the parts department will generally yield a " it's on backorder " reply with little assistance or additional remedy. Body shop reps are often surprised by the part just arriving one day... because they typically arent notified the part came off back order.. it just shows up.

As far as the part itself.. a quarter panel is one large piece of sheetmetal... It would generally be by itself and could come as an outer skin which can be sectioned in, or a complete innner and outer panel. The rocker panels would be a separate part. Both parts are likely unique to the 1M in that a 135 part would not apply.

it's good that you have a VP on the case.. but to be straight up honest.. it probably doesnt matter. I am sure the plant produced a bunch of quarter panels when the car was made... then say... produced a run of 100 (? that's a total Wild Ass Guess) more for their parts supply. I would imagine that as the supply gets low they then set up a time for another run, but that Leipzig plant has been OVERLOADED since BEFORE the 1M was even produced. They build all the 1 series models and the X1 on that line in that plant. if you are familiar with vehicle manufacturing.. the supply of cars being PRODUCED in the plant is already sold before they are made. So... imagine a requisition for time to produce a particular part.... I sincerely doubt that it can be moved up very easily.

It sounds like you are a claimant in this loss. I would recommend that once the repairs are nearing completion, you have a discussion with the claim handler regarding Diminished Value.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-26-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0