Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyabloke View Post
Here's another one from today. Re-edited this one with a new preset I created (plus a little tweaking). Like how it came out, but no matter how many times I've edited this one (and a couple other) I'm never 100% satisfied with it.
Sometimes I step back and realize that my image isn't as strong as I thought it was and I'm trying to do too much in post to rescue it. With your image, I'd prefer the guy to be coming into the image and I see more of his face, or going out of the image with me seeing less of his face. He's in kind of a neutral place now. He's almost centered in the frame and I think the composition would be stronger with him either more to the left or more to the right, depending on how much face we see, and differing percentage of his face showing.

There's a rule in wildlife photography that I think also applies in people photography (all rules can be broken). The rule is that the head angle cannot be negative, going away from the camera. It can be perpendicular to the sensor or any angle toward the sensor, but not away. Here, you've got just a tiny bit away, but that slightly weakens the image. I think this image is best with the head angle perpendicular to the sensor. I shoot lots of backsides of people, partly so that I don't need model releases, but the head angle is way more away, like 90-degrees.

When I break rules, like head angle or level horizon, I do it big, so that there's no doubt that I meant it. For instance, a horizon that's 1 or 3-degrees off looks like an accident, but when it's 20-degrees off, there's no doubt that I was going for the "angle."

Just some knee-jerk reactions.