View Single Post
      11-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #80
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Previously I was unable to mount the combox properly as the Bluetooth antenna length was too short. This meant I just have ot leave the combox sitting there.

I decided to buy an extension cable to bridge the gap. The bluetooth cable uses a FAKRA connector. Theres a whole bunch of different FAKRA connectors, they're keyed for the application so you can't accidentally put a GPS antenna into a Bluetooth unit etc. These connectors can be tricky to find cheaply, I decided to just buy a FAKRA Z extension cable. The 'Z' variant means its uncoded and is universal and can plug into any fakra plug.

The cable was too long and I didn't want loose wires hanging in the boot, so I shortened the cable. You lose a fair amount of signal through a 1M cable too. I've figured out the perfect way to splice a coax cable nicely without loosing shielding.

Still looks a little untidy where the main plug connects but that's due to the MOST cable being 20MM too short. I'll probably just leave it as that would require unraveling all the tape and hoping the fibre optic cable can be pulled out for a little more slack.

Quite happy how everything came together
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf combox.pdf (162.4 KB, 1204 views)

Last edited by vtl; 01-09-2017 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0