02-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #162
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
All great points, and I'm jealous of you 1M owners. As an owner of past M cars, each special in its own way, I've always regretted not getting a 1M when they came out in 2011. I continue to watch the for-sale ads for that "special one" -- but, like nachob, it must be NO NAV.

Now, after reading all of the great M2 reviews, the "practical side" of me (if there really is such a thing when you are talking 1Ms and M2s) considers that for the same amount of money as a used 1M I can get a new M2 with a four year warranty and four/three years of maintenance. Clearly it's easier if you already own a 1M, but such is my dilemma of now trying to decide 1M vs M2...
I love the NO NAV part, manual seats, no motorized mirrors. To me that means I am making the effort to make it as light and focused as possible. I also think the cockpit stands out as classical, clean and beautiful compared to what you see these days. So for me it has high value. If it doesn't have high value, then the M2 with warranty is a no brainer. It looks fantastic and having a warranty during the payment period is awesome especially if you do Euro delivery. I agonized on dropping the M2 but once I saw the cockpit in my current 1M, I knew it was for me.

Also, if you plan to daily drive, the M2 is better. It is stressful when you have a special car like the 1M that is rare, low parts volume and irreplaceable. While the M2 is very special, I wouldn't be as stressed out with it as I am with the 1M so I have my old 330i ZHP as my daily and the 1M for weekends. I hope that helps: Here are some cockpit pics so you can make up your own mind. I know most find the cluttered, busy modern cockpit better or more luxurious. I find it tacky unfocused and just like any other car offered today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1