View Single Post
      08-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
DRLs are standard in Canadian 1Ms but can be turned on and off using the stalk menu. I turned mine off when I moved it to SoCal because angel eyes provide the similar functionality with less voltage drain/load on car. At the San Diego science center they have a rig with pedals chained to an alternator. You can pedal it then flick a switch and turn one a single headlight. You would be shocked how much harder it is to pedal when the headlight comes on. This contraption has always stuck in my mind so I turn them off.

With that said, I did Euro Delivery and drove my 1M on the autobahn. I have never been a fan of DRLs but on the autobahn I became a believer. With the approach speeds on the unlimited speed sections, where cars close in quickly on you when passing, the DRLs were very useful. I could see cars coming fast much farther behind. You could turn the headlights on in the autobahn but then you would be putting a heavier load on the motor than the DRLs. There were plenty of times I was about to overtake on the autobahn at 110mph when I would spot a 911 with DRLs closing in at 150 to 160 mph.

So if I lived in Germany and drove on the Autobahn, I would have them on for sure. If I lived in the country and drove high speed on back roads, I would also have them on. In SoCal pothole infested, left-lane-texting-douche-bag ridden roads, I would turn them off.

I hope that helps.
In Canada, the angel eyes are the DRLs?!?
Appreciate 0