Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Great idea and thanks for the legwork! I'll try to contribute

N52 problems:
  • Valve cover gasket leaking/valve cover cracking. Symptoms: oil all around valve cover, spark plug threads oily,
  • Waterpump + thermostat
  • Oil Filter Housing Gasket
  • (Not sure if this is still a thing but earlier N52s experienced it) Hydraulic valve lifter tick

If you're planning on DIY, I'd recommend these tools (on top of normal tools you need to work on any other car [metric socket set, jack stands, breaker bars, etc.]):
  • 3/8" metric hex bit set
  • 3/8" Male & female torx set (maybe with a decent bunch of 1/4" stuff for those tough to reach bolts, like the oil filter housing under the manifold)
  • Flexible 1/4" and 3/8" extensions
  • Just a million extensions of all shapes and sizes (1/4", 3/8", long & short)
  • Universal joint socket connectors
  • BMW jack stand adapters (or just cut some wood to stuff into the jack points)
  • Quality torque wrench
  • Metric offset box wrench set

Air tools are fantastic too, my impact gets used quite a bit. Also an electric screwdriver (you'll thank me the first time you remove the engine/trans skid plate LOL)

128i maintenance req's:
  • Engine oil: ~6-7qts of BMW LL-01 Oil (honorable mention: Castrol 0w-40 euro blend)
  • Oil filter: Mann-Filter HU 816 X
  • Manual transmission: 2qts of GL-4 fluid (honorable mentions: Redline MTL, Redline D6 ATF)
  • Differential (manual trans) 1qt of GL-5 75w-90 fluid (honorable mention: Redline 75w90)
  • Spark plugs: NGK LZFR6AP11GS, NGK 6619 LFR6AIX-11
  • Air filter: Mann Filter C 27 114
  • Cabin air filter: Mann-Filter CUK 8430
  • Power steering fluid (CHECK YOUR RESEVOIR CAP) but most likely 1 liter of Pentosin CHF-11S
  • DOT4 brake fluid
  • Coolant: 1gal BMW coolant + 1gal distilled water, mixed 50/50
You ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Still learning these animals, but I had thought the n55 was also a candidate for the intake valve issues? The core DI design is still the same, just changing the VANOS for Valvetronic or whatever that eliminated the throttle body? If I'm way off on theory or terminology here I'll edit this paragraph to either remove it or make it more accurate and keep this thread on target.

Should injectors be mentioned here? I believe current rev is 12, and that they are available via rockauto, amazingly enough, as actual OEM parts for dirt cheap and distinctly easier to replace as a DIY than other DI engines out there- Speed6 injectors as an example

BMWhat (used to be Carly) has a used car check that can be run to get details on service history & mileage- compares values to be sure data points are listing expected values.

Suggest using a VIN decoder like bimmer.what to double check what's actually on/in the car.

Look for oil around the oil filter housing re: OFHG wear- I was looking at pics earlier today if needed for this thread

There's more, but it's dinner time......
Can you get injector part numbers for me? That would be amazeballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Aren't the windshield washer fluid bottle and related parts shared between the 135i and 128i?

A few other things to note: N55 has Valvetronic, N54 does not. N54 uses problematic piezo injectors (which have been revised more than 10 times) and the N55 uses lower cost solenoid injectors.
Added and added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Minor point as most people will double check before purchasing or installing, but, the plugs for the 128i are shown as NGK LZFR6AP11GS on RealOEM and NGK's catalog. (These are 95712.) Only reason I caught this is because I recently bought a set a very good price even though don't need them now.
Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
You're right, but from what I've noticed is there's a decent debate on what NGK spark plug to actually use.

Quoted from an Amazon review (I know, not exactly the most credible source but it gets the point across):

"The NGK website lists [NGK 6619 LFR6AIX-11] as a recommended plug for the N52 engine. This is not the plug recommended by BWM, however; the Bentley manual says to use NGK ILZFR6D11. I believe that NGK has updated their plugs since BMW made its original recommendations. If you go through realoem.com, they show different spark plugs for different years in the life of the N52 engine. For an '09, it would probably be the NGK PLZFR6A11S, though neither BMW nor Bentley recommend that one either."

-C.A.M (2 years ago on https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...munity-reviews)

Multiple NGK plugs on Amazon have a bunch of positive reviews, all mentioning BMWs with N52s, all saying they run just fine. I honestly don't think it'll make that big of a difference. There's a bunch of threads accross 1Addicts, E90Post, etc. discussing various plugs.

All I know is I bought the NGK LFR6AIX-11 and I haven't had a single hiccup. Performance and gas mileage are great.

___

Some maintenance intervals I found a while ago

Antifreeze: 60K
Brake fluid: 24K or every 2 years
Rear Differential fluid: 50K
Spark plugs: 80K
Manual gearbox fluid: 50K
Oil change: 5K
Power steering fluid: 24K or every 2 years
Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade135is View Post
Maybe add the 135is to the list.
Since there are so few out there I'll wait till someone who owns one get's me some details to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I would denote Twin Scroll Turbo charger on the N55 specs.
Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Adding to the 128i N51/52 engines that the manifold gaskets commonly leak between 80-120k miles.

These cars do not support bluetooth music, only with third party adapters they are able to.

That's all I have since my 28k mile 128i N51 has been problem free.
What manifold? Is this the valve cover you're talking about? That one was covered already. I'm going to note the bluetooth bit but haven't decided how yet. Overall the BT functionality (especially for Android) is just crap.