Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Can the Ohlins be kept to a minimal drop, near M Sport ride height? I don't want to lower the suspension more than an inch at most.
It's hard for me to compare the Ohlins kit directly to stock, because I went for M-Sport, to the Bilstein PSS9s (which were very low, almost too low, even at the highest setting) for a couple of years, and then to the Ohlins. I did find that the Ohlins were sort of the reverse of the PSS9s - even at the lowest setting, I thought the car sat too high. Not higher than stock, mind you - probably about the same or a little lower. But coming from the too-low Bilsteins, it was hard to go back to what I thought was too high.

One thing to consider is that the Ohlins kit is actually designed for the E9x 3 Series, and is marketed as "also fits" the 1 Series, so it really is designed for the heavier cars, so maybe that's why I thought my 128i sat too high. Your slightly heavier 135i might sit just right, especially if you don't want too much lowering in the first place.

I have since gone to shorter, stiffer linear race springs because I wanted more control of spring rates for autocross, but for a street-driven car I think the Ohlins-supplied springs would be fine.