View Single Post
      05-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #44
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

UPDATE:

I called Mark this afternoon at Northeast Motor Werks and he gave me the skinny on what he has found. First he ran the diagnostics and I still had misfire codes on 1,3, and 6.

He then pulled all of the plugs and found that many of them were already pretty beat up and dirty. (Keep in mind these were new plugs when I installed them on Saturday).

He checked gaps, verified they were OEM and reinstalled them. He started the car and it still misfired.

He then reset the ECU just to try that and still got the misfires.

He then swapped the ignition coil packs and the problem did not move with the packs.

Up to this point these are things I had already had done, but any good troubleshooter goes over all of it again IMO.

He had a brand new set of the OEM plugs in his shop so he pulled all of my new plugs and placed in his new plugs….car fired right up and hummed like day 1.

So, this makes me feel good for a few reasons. For starters, it proves to me I’m not an idiot and knew what I was doing. Secondly it reaffirms the value of these forums.

Dackelone was right yet again. I’m not sure if Bavarian Autosport stores their spark plugs in a pool or a fire pit or if they simply got damaged in shipping but they didn’t work. I can say with 100% accuracy they are the dealership sold OEM BMW plugs. I can also say…again… they didn’t work.

So the moral of the story is stop being a cheap ass like me and just drive to your local dealer (if you can) and hand carry those plugs out of there.

Thanks again guys! I’m getting the car back tomorrow probably as I’m having Mark do some other stuff. He’s great to work with and if anyone in CT is looking for an independent shop I would highly recommend him.
Appreciate 0