View Single Post
      07-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
dusty.brown
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

E88 Convertible Rear Window (detaching the fabric)

I had this problem on my 2008. After ten years, the rear window glue failed along the bottom edge. After some searching, I kept seeing people do this the hard way. It seems no one tried detaching the fabric top. It takes 5 minutes and no tools.

1) The window sags (and rattles) because the glue has failed.
2) This problem is exacerbated by the tension pulling the fabric away from the lower edge of the rear window.

Trying to fix #1 without taking the tension off the fabric (#2) is a bad way to do this. I cannot imagine good results by gluing fabric when it is under tension. I see people posting utube videos with all kinds of clamps and tape.

Steps
1. put the top in the halfway up position so that the rear bow-shaped bracket is straight up in the air. (Note: when the retained power goes off after a few minutes, the top will fall limp. You may wish to have the car running.)
2. Pull the weather strip off and away by hand. It sits in a grooved channel.
3. On each side of the window is a small round plastic retainer (push it through) and a defroster wire (pull apart) that need to be removed.
4. Grab and pull hard on the fabric lip that runs along the rear bow, starting at either edge working towards the middle. It has a plastic retainer strip that sits in a grooved channel with hidden metal clips.
5. Now that the entire back section is free from the rear bow bracket, you can return the top to the closed position and clean up the glue with a razor blade.
6. Reglue without any tension.

Last note: In addition to the glue separating from the window, the glue holding the neatly folded fabric edge also failed. This is difficult to see and difficult to solve if you do not take the tension off the rear fabric. Both of these issues result in window sag.
Attached Images

Last edited by dusty.brown; 07-02-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0