08-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #135
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Continueing from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
@Artemis is a forum gem for maintaining the 1M issues knowledgebase: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760815
Look under issue #14. ...

Get this done while the recall campaign is running. My local dealer states that BMW dealers will honour these kinds of replacements for life, but my experience with Volvo was that the dealer that sold me the car did not check on outstanding rework and I ended up having to pay myself because the rework campaign ended already years ago and the replacement parts had become very difficult to source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is currently labeled as a NA - south africa (!?) issue only. I have not looked in whether the cable is different between NA and other 1M regional versions, alternatively it could be a USA/NA-only issue because in the US the thresholds for problem acknowledgement are different (due to quite strict governance of the www.nhtsa.gov). As I recall, except SA, non of the EU or other region cars have had this replacement.
Looked into REALOEM and unfortunately this cable is not a standard part but can only be replaced as part of the full bespoke wiring harness. I have a replaced connector and even then, it would take an hour or more to get to this cable. For the sake of component comparison, I doubt that locals here or anywhere would line up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acediac View Post
Artemis is really great for us 1M owners!

I found a similar recall in Australia http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in...itemId/1045818

But they are only recalling cars between 3/1/07 and 2/28/11... that would seem to preclude the 1M. I guess I should give them a call anyway, but I bet the answer is "no".
In one of the US documents it states that the Vehicle Option S823A 'Hot climate version' is related ... the AUS link you posted is very similar in description, and thus it would be surprising if the AUS 1M was not involved.
Appreciate 0