View Single Post
      04-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #121
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

The corner weight numbers look better now. Thanks for updating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
To elaborate on the above, I have dug out some comments from Milliken and Milliken's "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics". Their comments:

"Good ride in the passenger car sense also dictates the relationship between front and rear natural frequencies which is usually incompatible with roll stiffness requirements." (p 580)

and, they suggest that, based on experience, ride frequencies for non-aero sedan race cars should be in the range of 1.6 to 2.0 Hz with the front higher (p 605). "Front higher" is in direct contradiction to what is required to reduce pitching oscillations in lightly damped street cars.
It seems like they may be neglecting the use of a front sway bar. If using soft front springs together with a moderate front sway bar, then its possible to have high roll stiffness and ideally tuned pitch characteristics at the same time. That assumes we care about road car ride quality and chose the damping ratio for that purpose. In that sense, you seem to be clear about your objective which is totally reasonable.

Thanks for the great thread so far. The detailed info and your explanation has been very useful. I've swapped springs and sway bars a couple of times already and I'm still learning.
Appreciate 0