Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I am waking up this old thread.

I used to see my oil level change in approx 1/4l increments, and have had very little oil use noted for years.

Last fall, I ended up 1L down, with about 5k mikes on the oil. I had done several autocross days, no track days. Oil had always read full. I added about 1/2 liter which was left in a bottle from the prior oil change, and was surprised it when read full after that. The car was put away for the winter, and I changed the oil this spring. Stupidly, I didn't measure what I removed.

Fast forward: I have been doing lots of track driving for the past month, 3 track days and a hill climb. I checked the oil at least 3 times during each event, always full. I drove my kids to get ice cream Sunday and we parked on a slope. The add oil warning came on as I shut the car off. I assumed it was the slope as that has happened to me before. When we got home, the warning persisted and indicated to add 1 qt. I added about 0.3 qt and now it reads full.

Frustrating!

I live in a dry climate so I do t think there can be much condensation. My last track day was rainy, but the hill climb day was after that and was hot and dry.

My sensor either reads full until it is dangerously low, or reads 1 qt low when it is only slightly low. I don't want to run it low all the time, or risk an overfill.

I guess I'll be measuring my next drain. Is there anything other than condensation or faulty sensor that could effect this? I am tempted to replace the sensor while changing the oil, but I can't be sure the sensor is actually the problem.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0