Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
If we're going by the tradition definition of what a M car is, I think the 1M is up there. M cars has always been primarily about chassis - everything else was a bonus. From what was written in reviews and what was shown in videos, 1M had that in spades.
So from the mid 70s to 2010 all those special high revving ITB NA engines were just picked up from the tractor junkyard but mounted in a great chassis?

Seriously, M cars are about chassis AND engines, you can not have 1 without the other. Even that 1M was tuned by M to be a tad different.

We will NEVER see a M car with a "standard" bolt on BMW engine.
Where did I say all previous M cars had junk engines mounted to the chassis? I said the primary focus of M cars, and could be said about all base series BMW's were about chassis. If the BMW has a great engine, that's an absolute plus but growing up, the focus and talk about BMW's was how it handled and the driving feel and less about how many cylinders, volume or how much horsepower it had. Of course an engine is somewhat important but it was never a focus.

The engine focus started to take off with M cars when the E9X got the V8. Again, I'm not saying BMW has made bad engines, but since the E9X, people seem to have focused more on cylinders and HP.
When you think of a M car, you know you will get a good chassis AND an ENGINE.

Primary focus was, is and will always be both.
Appreciate 1