Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
[...] apparently the engine is programmed to constantly keep up the revs at a minimum level of 700rpm in 1st gear during movement and maintain the constant cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph, as long as you don't interfere the movement by touching any pedal. [...]
Here's the constant speed indicated by the OBC during cruising without using pedals:
  • 1st gear cruising = 5mph or 9kph (appropriate speed for slow queuing in rush hour traffic);
  • 2nd gear cruising = 9mph or 15kph (appropriate speed for checking out available parking spots);
  • 3nd gear cruising = 13mph or 21kph (do mind that the engine does not like this);
  • 4th-5th-6th gear cruising = nah, won't try that.
And to negotiate a sharp corner during the cruising, don't brake but just push the clutch + release after the corner to let the cruising automatically resume (+ some acceleration if things go to slow to your liking).
Thanks so much for your original and follow-up posts on the subject if in-gear coasting. I have extensively used the feature in 6 months of Japan driving and the inevitable traffic. It is a clutch and knee saver I never would have known about otherwise. The last manual cars I owned were an '80s rabbit and a '71 240z. They definitely did not have this feature.