View Single Post
      02-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #60
apexwerks
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, E46 M3, Mk7 TDI Wagn

Finally was able to drive my E82 yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. Took it to get aligned after the strut/shock install and before I could get it out of the driveway I threw a "TPMS Inactive" error. Tried multiple times to reset, all to no avail.

The guys at the tire shop checked my TPMS sensors and said all 4 were not reading, that they were likely all dead. That seems a little hard to swallow- the car has been parked for about 2.5 weeks and I had no issues with TPMS prior. I did code the new Kombi to my VO and plugged/unplugged the TPMS receivers in the front wheel wells while doing the struts. So it's possible that the sensors were on the way out and the system reset caused the car to pick up on it? Either way, I'm not replacing 4 TPMS sensors.... it's time to code the system out.

I didn't take any pictures, but the whole process took less than 20 minutes. Please note that this is a 128i without iDrive... the process may be slightly different for iDrive cars. I borrowed/modified this from a couple of E90 posts, but it worked on my E82.

1. Disconnect RDC module. Mine was in the trunk below the passenger side taillight, behind the trunk liner. Popped out a couple of plastic rivets, unplugged and removed the RDC unit and put the liner back in place.
2. Next, I had to change the VO and write it to the right modules. Open NCS EXPERT, FILE, PROFILE, EXPERTMODE
3. F1 (VIN, ZCF/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA F. ECU)
5. SELECT CHASSIS (E89)
6. CAS, (VIN SHOULD POPULATE), OK
7. F2, ENTER FA
8. SELECT CHASSIS (E89), AGAIN
9. CLICK ON $2VB, HIT DELETE KEY ON KEYBOARD AND PRESS OK
10. F6, BACK
11. F4, PROCESS ECU
12. SELECT CAS, AGAIN
13. F2, CHANGE JOB, SELECT FA_WRITE
14. F3, EXECUTE JOB
15. F1, SG/SGEN, SELECT NFRM
16. F3, EXECUTE JOB
17. Next, I had to recode KOMBI to turn off TMPS now that the VO was correct. Open NCS EXPERT, FILE, PROFILE, EXPERTMODE
18. F1 (VIN, ZCF/FA)
19. F3 (ZCS/FA F. ECU)
20. SELECT CHASSIS (E89)
21. CAS, (VIN SHOULD POPULATE), OK
22. F6, BACK
23. F4, SELECT KOMBI
24. F2, CHANGE TO SG_CODIEREN, OK
25. F3, EXECUTE JOB

This worked perfectly for me.
Appreciate 1