View Single Post
      10-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
lithium1330
Private
Rep
Drives: fiancee's 135 when she lets me

Some cast methods produce high strength and relatively light wheels. I have a set of BBS RK's in 17" for my Audi. Each wheel weighs ~19lbs. Lightweight, yet they took plenty of abuse on streets of Boston (anyone who lives there know bad roads). Then again, I paid $300 a wheel, 10 yrs ago.

I would do your research about the manufacturer... if you tell me the wheels are cast, lightweight and made by BBS or OZ... I say, go for it. The probability is very high you're getting good quality wheels. I also know they won't be cheap.
On the other hand, if you tell me the wheels are cast, light-weight and costs about $200 (or less) each from a manufacturer that's relatively new to the wheel business (<10 yrs), I'd ask about their manufacturing & QA processes, and like Dackelone said...check for TUeV stamps and testing papers. If the manufacturer follows ISO-certification process (most manufacturers abroad (China, Thailand, etc.) usually claim ISO to attract American businesses), they should have testing paper for you.

This is just my personal opinion, but I see the quality of wheels on the same level of importance as quality of metal that the car manufacturers stamp my car out of. I can probably buy a car that's light and cheap, but it probably not crash test worthy. After tires, wheel is the 2nd thing that connects your car to the road.
Appreciate 0