View Single Post
      06-18-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Mark's STX 128I Build Thread

Jump to Table of Contents

I wanted to introduce myself and start a build thread for my new project, a BMW 128i destined to become a nationally competitive SCCA STX class autocross car while still being a fun car to drive on the street and the occasional trackday. My name is Mark and I am based out of Vancouver, Canada; my previous racecar was an E36 328IS prepared to the limits of the next class up (DSP) with modifications such as custom fender flares to clear 285-30-18 Hoosier A6 race tires, complete suspension, tuning and complete bolt-ons, and so forth. That E36 was fantastic and I truly loved driving it; that's what excites me about the 1 series and especially the 128I - it's the first modern BMW I've driven that reminds me of all the things I loved about my old E36. Fairly lightweight, short wheelbase, naturally aspirated BMW I6, simple manual gearbox - all the good stuff.

The STX class is designed as a place for people to modify in their cars in such a way that they are still streetable and designed to compete on street legal tires. It’s got a very specific set of rules which can be found here, but the basic premise is suspension is mostly open with only a few limitations, wheels are limited to 9” wide and have to fit under stock fenders (no widebodies!), street tires can be a maximum of 265 wide, and only minor bolt ons such as intake, exhaust (must still have catalytic converters), and tuning are allowed for motor. For many years, the E36 325IS was "the car to have" but in modern times it is mostly run by the FR-S/BR-Z.

I have to throw a huge plug in for Kyle, his STX build thread was super helpful with both the information and inspiration needed to get started on a build of my own. While the 128I is certainly not an overdog in the class, I agree with Kyle that it is a very overlooked way to have a car competitive at some of the highest levels in a reasonably priced and reliable BMW package. My goal with this thread is to help bring information back to the community to encourage others to compete and modify their cars.

Finding the right car:

I found the ideal donor car, a bone stock 2011 BMW 128i 6spd with no options except xenons and heated seats, hiding in Toronto, a short 2000 miles away. I bought it sight unseen praying that it was a solid base, sent the money and waited (and waited, and waited...) for it to arrive by rail. This car has done 89,000 kms or about 55,000 miles and is in generally good shape and seems to drive well - looks like a good base to start with. It's specifically a non sport package car which may seem counter-intuitive but there is nothing with the sport that we won't be replacing so no point in paying extra for that.

We've got a long journey ahead to get this stock car ready for national level competition - lots of time, testing, oh and $$$. It will take some time to get it all completed, but right now I am frantically ordering parts to get some of the barebones in the car soon to allow for some testing still this summer while the weather stays nice. Stay tuned for lots of goodies coming from UPS!

Mark

Last edited by lowside67; 06-20-2015 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 1