View Single Post
      09-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #14
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

No need to apologize. I'm just glad to be discussing with somebody who is willing to fairly consider new evidence that challenges their existing understanding.

It's something that even many 'professionals' and 'experts' still believe, and propagate, because even if they do the analysis they more often than not stop as soon as they see the total roll resistance being the same in both directions... Not taking it far enough to understand that how it's applied at each corner is not. In addition to that group, my guess is that many who are aware are more than happy to let their competition believe and propagate this fallacy. The effects are typically going to be relatively minor, possibly imperceptible to all but the best drivers. So nothing that would cause anybody harm, but also possibly enough to make the difference between 1st and not-1st.

It's kind of like people targeting 50% cross weights, when what they're technically looking for is usually equal F/R distribution on both sides. The cross weights thing comes from circle track using it as a baseline for measuring 'wedge', but it doesn't actually mean equal left and right handling balance. Fortunately, 50% cross weight is typically close enough to equal F/R distribution on both sides that it will again possibly imperceptible to all but the best drivers. Once again though, also possibly enough to make the the difference between 1st and not-1st.

Note that with the above tuning knowledge in hand, that equal left and right handling balance isn't always the fastest way around any given track, even when turning both left and right, since every track has more turns one direction than the other and some are more critical than others.

Last edited by Driven5; 09-17-2021 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
tsk941522.00
asbrr543.00