View Single Post
      02-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
su320
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red '09 135i

Hey, thanks for all the feedback.

An update on the smoke:
Since the weather has been above freezing the past few days, I actually haven't seen any smoke at all. Not sure if that's causation, or if it was any of the other maintenance items I've done the past few days (changed battery, cleared codes from low battery, used Techron concentrate for the injectors - seems to help with the occasional rough start and idle before the engine warms up).

drwillb:
Coolant was my initial guess a little awhile back when I first started noticing the smoke. I just did a check of the coolant again, it still looks fresh and not mixed with any oil. I changed the water pump about 15k miles ago and flushed the coolant then. The coolant tank is also still full.

O2Pilot:
I don't typically drive the car hard. Once or twice a summer I'll take it to an autocross, but other than that it's short city driving mixed with longer highway driving a couple times a month. I usually take it easy on the commutes since the oil temps are lower.

NorthernDancer:
I definitely have been driving it short distances in cold weather the past month where the engine only has enough time to get up to maybe 150/160 then cools down.
I'll take a look at the Bav Auto kit. I presume Liqui Moly? I know I need a walnut blast, I'm at 115k and last one was at 50k. Looking into getting one this summer.
Appreciate 0