03-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

First One in the Books

Hello All!

This past weekend I finally went out in my first event with the 1M. I had already done a couple events in other vehicles, and a single autocross event in the 1M - so had some familiarity with the basics. As you'll see, still a lot to learn, but happy with my progress given the first real event! I already knew I would be hooked, and this certainly helped to confirm that

I will say, given the strong market and these crazy auctions recently, I have been second guessing hanging onto the 1M. Financially, it still probably makes the most sense for me to sell, but for now - I'll continue to enjoy what it was made to do.

A few thoughts I had:

-The PFC08's were LOUD. Admittedly I had a hard time overcoming this mentally as I felt I was being annoying and inherently doing something wrong with long extended squeeking!

-A lot of factors probably went into this, but the Tire/Brake combo didn't give me any confidence. It seemed to be wildly inconsistent and felt as if I was engaging ABS, even if I wasn't. Some things we thought could be the issue: Older Tires - probably time to replace. Cold day, so they were rock hard. Brakes out performing the tires. Maybe rotors. And certainly, user error. I was able to apply the brakes better later in the sessions, which helped, but didnt solve the issues.

-Need to work on shifting. Even though I know how to heel/toe, the combination of lack of confidence in brakes, and my inconsistencies in brake pressure when I do heel/toe made me avoid this. I felt I was trying to do too much here and probably should have left it in 3rd for a majority of the small track

-General Novice mistakes; Better vision, smoother steering inputs, too much body/head movement when turning, smoother Gas/Brake application, etc. Really awesome to have the GoPro so I can visualize these errors.

Overall I had a blast and learned a lot. Already searching for time and money for the next one

Special Thanks to PCA-Potomac Region for an awesome event.

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 2
BimmerAg425.00