03-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
thanks! Sheesh.. I had no idea how many of these there are..

I have definitely experienced Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating (FLR).

here is a thread on CBC guys.. or at least how owners began to discover it...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=CBC

Mike Benvo was one of the people that first began coding out some of these.. but was charging $500 to do so..... a tremendous amount for a few features to be turned off.. Now that coding is much more accessible.. I might need to schedule another coding session!
You could probably do it yourself (and gain considerable access to your car's systems ). The learning curve is steep to begin with (mostly terminology), but once you get how it works, it's really quite easy! You can pick up a K+DCAN cable on Amazon for around $30, and there are lots of ways to get the BMW Standard Tools suite for free, which is nice. $500 is ridiculous, but I guess it could cover him for liabilities (computers control everything, and if one breaks, they all want to break). A cool thing I did was change the brake assist mapping to reflect my brake mods (F30 335i calipers up front), and it made the pedal feel much better, IMO.

I'm waiting for my car to get back from the collision shop (got hit twice in <2 weeks, other guys' faults), but then I'm going to see what else I can tinker with...

EDIT: Just looked at that thread you linked; really cool stuff, but I don't think I've ever experienced those effects, but I'll dive into the DSC module again and see...