03-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
You could probably do it yourself (and gain considerable access to your car's systems ). The learning curve is steep to begin with (mostly terminology), but once you get how it works, it's really quite easy! You can pick up a K+DCAN cable on Amazon for around $30, and there are lots of ways to get the BMW Standard Tools suite for free, which is nice. $500 is ridiculous, but I guess it could cover him for liabilities (computers control everything, and if one breaks, they all want to break). A cool thing I did was change the brake assist mapping to reflect my brake mods (F30 335i calipers up front), and it made the pedal feel much better, IMO.

I'm waiting for my car to get back from the collision shop (got hit twice in <2 weeks, other guys' faults), but then I'm going to see what else I can tinker with...

EDIT: Just looked at that thread you linked; really cool stuff, but I don't think I've ever experienced those effects, but I'll dive into the DSC module again and see...
Damnit.. I need to learn the digital screwdriver.. you are correct. I moved into a new home about 18 months ago and been too busy with home projects to do a lot of my own auto work but as the house gets to being " done" more I need to get in the garage and spend some time learning....

Especially since it doesn't seem that I will be trading my 1M for an M2 anytime soon... I just have NOT been impressed with the ever increasing nannies... With all the nannies we have.. the M2 ADDS... auto rev match nannies... an EPS system that still needs work, much more intrusive tire pressure system nannies.. collision avoidance nannies... more boost nannies. etc etc etc..
Appreciate 0