06-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #81
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugas4 View Post
Cool, but this is the e8x forum. You might get responses that are more relevant from the proper forum.
Cool, you must be a joy to have a conversation with. Unlike yourself, I can read. Furthermore, I can even read beyond the first couple words of a sentence. You should try this forum. https://www.additudemag.com/forums/

I did search and from my post, you can see there aren't people using these single din units on the e90 because there are vehicle specific units. I tried one of those units and did not like the placement of the screen and relocating the hvac controls and loosing the heated seat buttons. Thus, my searches brought me here. Hope you were able to read all this without hitting the quote button and splicing irrelevant sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie Blue View Post
The screws are tiny and only around 1/4" long if I remember correctly, so I don't think you'll be able to add any washers. I have attached a pic from the joyingauto.com website. However, a single DIN unit can actually be mounted at 2 different depths, where you see the 2 square latch holes on the side of the unit. Mine is actually mounted with the latch hole that allows the unit to protrude out more, and the ribbon cable on the back of the screen rests on the aluminum trim piece because I raised it to clear the climate controls. You can see this in the photos in the first post.
Thanks for the "useful" and on topic feedback. I did contact Joying and they do have an extension bracket that adds another 9mm to the screen. I wasn't aware of being able to mount the unit further out. I measured my dash and the HU is recessed almost exactly 20mm so it might be a tight fit. I think I would need a couple more mm's to be safe. I see you got the PDC functioning with a different harness. They will also sell their BMW specific wiring harness with a universal unit. I'm just confirming all the features for the model specific unit would carry over. I don't want to lose PDC.
Appreciate 0