03-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #46
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
I guess all that purchase BMW M cars with //M OEM LSD are also "idiots" as BMW does not know anything about making a LSD for some stupid thing called a M car (also overpriced and for idiots).

This thread title is " BEST LSD"; not "cheapest LSD"; not to talk crap about the stuff one cannot afford.****

quoting you:

*** a M-factory hellical diff will be Shit compared to a OEM BMW LSD for Dealership BMW warranty and for LAP TIME***

A BMW will handle BEST with a Clutch type LSD ; Every single //M car has a Clutch type LSD.

My money is where my mouth is; I purchased a BMW Dealership LSD unit and was 100% pleased; 0 shipping anything anywhere, 100% BRAND new BMW Germany part.

Walk up to the local BMW Dealership counter, pay, pick it up in a few days. Don't hate on the BMW dealership; everyone buys things at the dealer.

The Factory BMW part is BRAND NEW; including the HOUSING, GEARS, bearings. BMW Factory > anything if considering a NEW dealership supported BMW.

M-factory LSD is the best CHEAP option for those in the market for a gear type solution. IF the small amount of money saved is the end goal then perhaps driving a Turbocharged BMW is not the best idea for the owner.

E46M3, E60M5, E92m3 use a GKN Visco-LOK

Visco LOK is a GKN patent that uses BOTH Clutch type AND Viscous mechanisms to lock up.

7 clutch plate pairs provide the Lock up to 100%
Viscous unit pump provides engagement from 0->100%

the GKN Visco Lok design is brilliant but wears out with heavy use @ about 100k miles combined street/circuit.

the E30M3 (best handling BMW of all time)
E36M3 (also best handling BMW of all time)
and E28M5, E24 M6, E34 M5

all use a traditional ZF germany built 2 clutch plate 25% lockup LSD unit. This is the "CLASSIC" bmw feeling; anyone who has driven one instantly remembers.

the BMW Dealer performance option is made by Drexler (who makes the DTM LSD units for BMW motorsports) - BMW Factory DTM is probably a pretty good indicator of the quality of the product.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936661

The new part sold by BMW is an updated 2014 version of the classic unit; its even better and the design proven reliable for the last 3 decades by BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa, Opel, Volvo (rwd), others.
And you prove my point exactly, as you fit directly into this category based on your comments (and I would suggest doing more googling to learn more about what you just copy and pasted):

"As for the OEM M LSD, it's extremely overpriced and limited in function. Only the misinformed or those with too much money to spend would buy an OEM LSD, especially when you can find alternatives for significantly less and with a lifetime warranty"

I never said there is anything wrong with oem BMW parts or that they don't function as they intended, but just because it's oem doesn't make it the "best".

I also never mentioned MFactory anywhere in my post, but if you really have to bring it up, it's not about being the "cheapest" (as there are other LSD's on the market that are even cheaper than the MFactory); it's about "Value for Money" and, unless your car is a dedicated track car (of whom would most likely benefit from a Plate type LSD), I'm sorry to tell you this, but the closest that you can get to "Best" = "Value for Money", something that the oem LSD's most definitely aren't.

Going by your train of thought, then I should increase the price of our LSD to $5000+ then, which should now make it the best LSD and not the cheapest as you say

Last edited by MFactory; 03-12-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0