View Single Post
      04-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #197
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
Because the 135i and 335i share the same engine. And because by virtue of its purpose to bring M-car performance at a lower cost, there will be more compromises made in the 1er. I will be very surprised if the N55 holds a candle to the M3's naturally aspirated engine with individual throttle bodies and 8400 rpm redline...
Also, this from the FAQ thread:
"It will be powerful to justify it's premium over the 135i but not to overstep the M3."
I'm not sure what mechanism BMW had in place to ensure that the 135i wouldn't overstep the 335i, but it didn't seem to work too well.
Is the high-revving NA hot version of the 1er still in the works? BMW like to invoke the image of the original 2002, yet the true heir has not yet surfaced. Meanwhile, it appears BMW is content to let the M3 get bloated to contend with its other marketplace rivals. So, maybe you can understand how performance enthusiasts, with their hopes pinned on the 1er, are a bit impatient with BMW not delivering on the marketing message, that the 1er is a legit return to enthusiast driving roots and not merely 3 Series Lite.

Thanks for the reminder about the technology at hand for the N55. I am already keeping that in mind in allowing that the new engine might be very involving and responsive. The 997.2 Turbo also has a load of technology thrown into its engine (VTG, direct injection). Yet I doubt very much its throttle response is as visceral as a GT3's.
But I do understand the mission of M, and it's not just about the engine, it's the whole package.

I still think the whole "not stepping" on the M3 thing is merely appeasement to some in the M commumity.
The M3 is the top 3 series. The M1 will be the top 1 series.
If the M3 crown is upset about it, too bad.
As I said, I still think the biggest impact the M1 could have is taking away 335i sales, as it'll be closer in price, and those that can't or don't want to swing M3 money can have something much closer for less, albeit sacrificing some minor luxury things. But, most enthusiasts are willing to forgo some of those.

I agree the 1 doesn't deliver the whole promise, the suspension being the real issue. But, by and large the 1 delivers amazing performance for the price point of a BMW.
Besides, when has marketing ever been done by engineers?
It's done to entice and gain interest in the hopes of selling units.
I think it did it's job quite well.

As far throttle response, that's just one factor in a long list of factors that affect a cars performance. We have yet to see and feel what has been done, or what can be done with the N55 and with it in the hands of the M division.
Appreciate 0