View Single Post
      08-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #66
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

I've always favored as low tire pressure as the car allows.

With the 1er. I've run it on 255/40 17s for 3 years. This was with -2.5* camber up front with stock suspension with the exception of camber plates. Went through 4 sets of Star Specs. My best results were always:

Auto-x F- 35 hot (30 cold)
R- 32-33 hot (29-30 cold)
Track 37-38 hot all around (used to start as low as 30 all around)

A lot of the tire pressure has to do with the suspension set up and the weight of the car. Also wheel width adds to it a lot. Running 255 on 8.5" wheel is a bit too much of a tire for the wheel. In order to run 255 efficiently it should be mounted to a 9" or a 9.5" wheel.

My current car rolls around on 295 square and is under 3K pounds with me in it, and I get best result when working with 30psi or under. Most of the time I start around 25 psi cold or less. I know a lot of miata guys will start with 20psi cold pressure and will steal the FTD.

Higher pressure is more for beginners as they tend to overdrive the front end a lot. Running higher pressures will simply help preserve their sidewall, for all the punishment they put their tires through.

Michelin PSS is an awesome all around summer performance tire. Sure it is able to handle abuse here and there from occasional event, but in the end there is a reason why no competitive or frequent attendee of auto-x or track day is running that tire.
Appreciate 0