Thread: AC Problems
View Single Post
      12-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #46
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

I have the updated A/C or the automated climate control. This is where the A/C and heating are combined to condition the air and provide a comfortable environment.

I have had it engaged or "on" since I bought the car. The temperature is set at 65 and the far right control set to "all". This is the correct way to use the system. The air is never "ice cold" but I never feel too hot or cold. The system has been functioning perfectly for 6 years without a hint of trouble.

Forget about adding freon with one of those recharge can. First, you'll either overcharge of lose refrigerant in attempting to use it. Next the A/C won't function if the freon level isn't exactly correct. And if you need to add freon, the system has a leak.

If the compressor is bad, a scan will reveal the problem; otherwise, the following steps should be taken:

Recharge the system adding a dye to detect leaks.
Drive the car for a couple of weeks and then bring it back to the shop.
The shop should be able to find the leak and repair it.

I've never needed an evaporator, so that would be a new experience for me. My past experience has been a new compressor, receiver-dryer, and recharge the system. The bill around a thousand dollars, but the system was 10 years old.
Appreciate 0