06-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #245
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagnus7 View Post
You think that maybe filling the bottom rubber part with some sort of high temp rubber or epoxy would remedy that issue? Or where they just not manufactured correctly?

I just don't see the difference between the stock/335is or 034 with regards to that specific part of the mount, you know what I mean?
The weight of the engine effectively sits on the bottom cap, and the outside edge lip of the aluminium housing is rolled over to stop the bottom plastic cap from coming out. Hence the weight of the engine sits on the rolled over edge of the aluminium mount. I noted that the 034 mounts did not have this edged rolled over properly (looks incomplete and not rolled completely over the plastic cap). On the OE mounts this edge is rolled over much flatter. My theory is that the tooling 034 is using to press/roll the edges isn't as powerful as the OE tooling, so the bottom cup can fall out.

Epoxy wouldnt really be ideal, as youd have to support the weight of the engine based on the adhesive under tension between the rubber and the aluminium housing. Usally glueing rubber parts would be a pain, combined with the fact there would be release agents still bonded to the rubber that youd have to deal with.