03-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #42
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw91 View Post
I sent the message today that I would be passing. They did drop the price to 57k (and offered 28k on my m235i which has had 0 interested buyers no with 1,700 tax deduction). But I paid more attention yesterday and there is glue residue all over the roof and under the front lip. My theory is that this car was wrapped for 7 years, when pulling the vinyl it ripped paint off, and they just did a quick fix. Bizarre that a 1m owner would do this.

I came to the elders for advice, and received sage wisdom. Thanks everyone.
Or it may have been wrapped for a shorter period, if that is what happened. There have been at least several wrapped 1Ms we have seen pictures of that were posted in this forum, over the years. There has also been at least one that was totally repainted a non-standard color, with videos posted of the extensive process done on that car.

Carmax anonymizes the process that could happen between an enthusiast seller and buyer of a specialty car like a 1M. For that reason alone I would tend to stay away from any sort of exotic car purchase through them, especially if the car is older and no longer under warranty.

But, and this is a huge "but," it needs to be remembered that any older specialty car purchase is a crap shoot, and no matter how good the documentation, and no matter how good a spiel the seller gives you, no such transaction is 100% guaranteed. Even PPIs are fallable, and most of them are very marginal and not to be trusted.