View Single Post
      07-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Dazzlin
Rep
Drives: 135i

Exclamation Total total newbie... Help and advice desperately sought :)

Hi everyone,

I'm almost certain the following statement has been uttered a million or so times in the past, so let me put you in the picture.

2009 135i owner. Driven in the summers. Complete factory spec.

Do my own oil changes, brakes, plugs (etc) - everything always going excellent.

Checked the brake fluid the other day and thought "Hmmm... might want to change that" -- so I looked online and saw a fab video of a guy using INPA to assist in a brake fluid change. Looked awesome!

I'm not a mod-hungry kinda driver, and I love that my car is still in factory spec.

Having said that, I would like to 'dip my toe' into the 'custom coding world' and would like to make the very small modification(s) of having my mirrors fold in using the comfort settings on the handle / keyfob and also to have the keyfob close up the windows on locking.

Herein lies the $64,000 question: WHICH SOFTWARE PACKAGE SHOULD I INSTALL AND USE?

I almost feel that I have watched every youtube video of someone loading a different set of applications, read more on the subject than I have ever read books in my life and - other than many personal preferences - I have yet to find any real consensus on "You should use this, and it'll work"

I've got myself the K+DCAN cable, a nice newish laptop I'm happy to install any OS on and after then my brain starts to hurt... The cable does work as I have managed to read a very small amount from my car - so I feel confident about that.

The cable came with the first versions of INPA.... 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 - which I closely followed a YouTube video and got connected but doesn't seem to work exceptionally well (my experience). Something about how the INPA version on the Laptop and the car were incompatible...

Then I downloaded "Mikes Easy BMW Tools" but couldn't get it to run (at least in my experience)....?

Bimmergeeks had a mocked up version of the BMW Standard Tools - which kinda worked, but I don't speak German... and it looks more stressful that perhaps it is? Whatever this is uses a newer version of INPA but I found myself using it a little but being completely unsure of myself...

Hopefully by this point you're seeing where I'm going with my story: I'm not a complicated kinda guy, not looking to custom map every inch of my car or reinvent the wheel... Just want a nice diagnostics application that will help me change the brake fluid (among other things) and the most relevant version of NCS Exper(t) that'll help me make the mods I'm looking for.

Can someone, anyone, say "I've got a similar car, this is my set up and it works. Download this [exact] package from [place], install it and do X, Y and Z"

Happy to follow any YouTube directions or anything --- but at the very least I'm looking for your experiences... What IS the newest / most stable / best software package out there that'll work with my (our) cars .

Very, very thankful in advance guys.

Dazza
Appreciate 0