View Single Post
      10-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have been on the M2 list for almost two years while I looked for the right 1M. I recently decided and it wasn't easy. I took the 1M just 7 weeks ago but the part that made it difficult was that it's always nice to have a brand new car that you can take care of it the way you want. The warranty and service is nice while paying it off, those were the things that made it difficult for me. I overall think the M2 is very, very cool but I was taken aback slightly by the video of it beating the 1M. Not because we didn't expect it but because it just seems to feed the perception that those that don't get the 1M. If you are just playing numbers, sure it's faster. That's awesome but I never felt the 1M lacked power, if anything was that it needed to handle the power a little better and the goodness comes not from numbers. So I like the M2. I am certain it will drive better, is faster and have better throttle response which is my only real 1M gripe and it is more noticeable now that I hop in and out between the ZHP and 1M but I still think the 1M is more special to me. Its history of how it came about makes it special, the fact that there are no comfort buttons, active sound, automatic or dynamic suspension options make it cool in a weird way. It's like the F35 vs A10. No one says the A10 is a better plane than the F35. The F35 is faster, some versions can hover, land on carriers, make French Toast while doing a 6 g barrel roll but there is something so much cooler about the single-mindedness of the A10. It's mission is fly low and slow and take a beating. If my life was on the line in the front lines facing ISIS and I had to pick one of them to support me, I would take the A10 today.

So, bottom line, it is a very cool car and I like it. I would grudgingly buy one if right 1M was not available but I prefer 1M because I look at the cockpit and for me the 1M no Nav cockpit which is continuously overlooked in these comparisons is perfect and feels like what an M car cockpit used to look like. The new cockpits are too busy, too F35 and don't feel as pure as the stripper 1M cockpit so that is the tie breaker for me. Congrats to those that get the M2.. I have serious like for your car and as silly as you think it is, I just think the 1M is more special and this is coming from someone that was #1 on the list and bailed just recently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3