08-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008_135i View Post
Ok thanks guys, a UK based guy has contacted me to say his car which is the same as mine has D5 fronts and D3 rears.
From what I am lead to believe the biggest issue with the 135i was the lack of an LSD. To prevent wheel spin they fitted a really soft anti-roll bar on the rear and then made the springs too hard to get it round the corners. Apparently if you fitt an LSD, a firmer rear anti-roll bar and softer springs they are a completely different/better animal.
I think the guy that contacted you most likely meant L3 not D3 rear. D3 rears are m-sport springs used on some e92 3 series cars, which I believe are firmer and slightly shorter in free length. Stock 135i springs, ie. D6 and L3 are matched for balanced ride quality while also giving the car safe handling for the average driver. The biggest issue I see with the stock e82 suspension is the excessive slop in the rear subframe bushings that detract from the handling precision. Unfortunately it was designed like that for compatibility with RFT tyres. Also the car dosen't have much suspension travel, so it hits the bump stops a lot when driven on poor roads. Soft springs and low ride height aren't a good combination from that point of view.

Last edited by John_01; 08-07-2019 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0