View Single Post
      07-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #29
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this! It's interesting to me because you are using the OE HW (which I prefer when possible) and you are trying to mount them in parallel. The in parallel part is very intriguing because berns is running two slightly larger coolers in series and still has cooling issues in some scenarios. I am looking forward to seeing if two factory coolers in parallel can get the job done. If not, I remember someone showing me an OE cooler on a different car, I think the 535, that mounts in the passenger fender but was larger than the OE E82 cooler. Not sure about fitment though.

There is this company that makes a larger cooler for the E92 M3 DCT, which mounts in the same location as our stock oil cooler. part: https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/bmw-...er-racing.html. They were willing to sell me the cooler at a discount without their shroud, but could not confirm fitment so I kind of gave up on that option. It looks like it will work though. I believe the E92 M3 DCT oil cooler is the same as our oil cooler, and this upgrade appears to be using the factory mounting bracket.
I'll keep you posted. That DO88 cooler does look like it would fit and you could probably modify the shroud. What were they selling the cooler alone for? Still spendy, I bet.

A side note...I have not experienced DCT temp or performance issues and it is the same transmission as the M3. Admittedly I am in the PNW, where temps are rarely over 80F. Interesting that so many M3 guys have overheat issues but 135 guys seem to have less issues. maybe it's straight up horsepower related. Given that the cooler that is used (water/oil) in the 135i means that the water temp, at around 200F, will try to maintain that as the DCT temp on our cars. That means there is inefficiency to adding a separate cooler after that in-line. But BMW obviously added that cooler to get the DCT "up to temp" and apparently that was bigger concern than actually cooling it. Need to research people who have done DCT coolers (I know Asbjorn has but he is in crazy hot temps). I have the slon pan now and really need to do some logging to see if I need to address it.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0