View Single Post
      08-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #84
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Great advice.. Question.. What kind of fuses are in the 135i?
No idea as I don't have a 1 series yet. I don't remember what my wife's e90 took when we did it.

Quote:
Also, there's the matter of the fuse to piggyback onto the top of the fuse holder.. Im confused if the fuse part of the device that plugs into the fuse box, and the one that piggybacks on top are the same size fuse?.. I read where the piggybacked fuse should be a mini fuse, but I cant tell in the copy if they are referring to the piggybacked fuse, or the main fuse that plugs into the fuse box? Lastly, what amp fuse would you suggest for the piggyback portion which powers the Valentine.?
You want (need) to find a fuse that will only have power when the car is actually running. You'd have to look at the manual to get a better idea of what is what (I think someone actually posted which fuse they used earlier in the thread, but it's been awhile since I read it all).

As far as the fuse type, it will be the same as the fuse you are replacing (e.g. if it's a mini, then the V1 will use a mini as well).

According to V1's website (and should be in your manual), it takes a 1amp fuse in line. You have two choices (assuming a new power supply). Either you can crimp the power lead in as is which has the 1amp fuse holder in place, then anything 1amp or more is acceptable in the pigtail. Or you can cut out the fuse hold in which case you MUST use a 1amp fuse in the pigtail.

If you aren't big on how car electronics work and your power supply for the V1 is new, I would suggest that you leave the inline fuse holder in place and let the V1 depend on that. That way it isn't critical what you use in the pigtail (as long as it is 1amp or more).
Appreciate 0