04-10-2020, 04:58 AM   #6
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
That effectively what I was going to do with the bumper, yet I figured if I'm going to just sand, paint and clear just those affected areas, would I still end up getting overspray paint and clear on areas around it if I don't tape off the area I sand initially to primer? I just don't want to risk spraying paint and clear over areas that are already painted and cleared if you know what I mean.

And the removing the bumper part I said was mostly due to me wanting to repair the 2 large holes made by the previous front plate where right now I have matched plugs. I could prob fashion two small pieces of plastic in the holes and adhere but it'd like be a lot faster, more solid and easier if I took the bumper off and fully covered the holes from the inside, then used the bondo shit on the outside, sanded and then did the repair job. I was going to use pieces of hard plastic, would that work or do I need something else, I don't just have figerglass at the ready..

The spot on the passenger side quarter panel I'd def have to tape around the fucked up area too to prevent overspray on already fine areas. I mean it's basically that or I sand the whole panel down with 800, then do the specific area and then clearcoat the entire thing...

The biggest thing is I just don't want to use too heavy a grit paper if I do the whole panel, if anything I'd just want to remove the clearcoat from the rest and not damage the paint under, that way once I've primer'd and painted the damaged area, I could just clearcoat the entire panel. Am I way overthinking this or basically on point

I just don't wanna fuck it up more than i did with the shitty brush paint bullshit. Also, again, I'm assuming that I'd want to sand those fucked up areas basically down to metal? Wouldn't I need something more like 400 grit?

If I'm not mistaken you damage is on the bumper, no? The bumper is plastic. Fenders are metal.
You never want to sand down to metal or plastic if you can help it. It's unnecessary and will create more work.

If you must fill up the holes you could potentially plastic weld them and finish with bondo, or use a hot glue gun And finish with bondo. It will be impossible to sand your plastic filler to the right levels as it's not designed to be sanded. Bondo or primer filler is designed to be sanded.

Assuming that the damage is on your bumper, to blend it you can feather it into the clear coat. One rattle can of colour matched paint doesn't go far such is why I haven't suggested respraying the entire bumper.

As long as you don't over spray to other panels and only spray the bumper then you can blend it easily.
Scuff up a wider area than just the damaged part so you can blend.

Paint goes on very thin so so worrying about sanding down too heavily. I just needs to be a scuffed and cleaned very well with isopropyl alcohol and it'll adhere.
If there are any grease or waxes or ceramic coating then it'll screw up there painting process.
Appreciate 1