Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I had high hopes when I changed the gearbox oil in my 128i with 68k miles. I've only had the car for a week, but that was enough to hate the way it shifted. All is forgiven now.

Step 1: delete that damn CDV valve. I had no idea why the car was so awful to drive until I searched the forums and discovered that CDV valve. I was pulling it out of gear, not realizing that even though my foot was to the floor, the clutch had not yet fully released because of the delay. It caused very rough, bucking shifts. Now the clutch works normally. It was a night and day difference.

Step 2: the 1-2 shift was very difficult. I almost had to double clutch to get it to shift or apply more force than I felt comfortable using. I drained the transmission and replaced it with AC/Delco (GM) Synchromesh (friction modified). Wow what a difference! The 1-2 shift requires a tiny bit more force than any other gear, but just barely. Once again, the difference was night and day. The only downside to draining was finding all the tiny metal fragments that built up over the last 9 years from the previous owner.

A car that required supreme concentration to drive smoothly is now a pleasure to row through the gears. I can't wait until my SSK arrives, except that I'm dreading crawling back under the car again to install it. Ugh! After the 15-20 hours I've spent detailing the engine and cutting/polishing the body, my hands are virtually useless.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0