06-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #108
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Thanks for your opinions Bubbles. Come to think of it an M6 left Road Atlanta due to overheating and an E36 M3 overheated and believed he destroyed his engine. I do not want to get involved in the pissing match but I do have a couple questions.

Did you guys drive with MDM on or off? When I drove Road Atlanta last Monday I shut everything off for most of the day but several times when I had it on I felt a loss of power, glanced down and didn't see the light flashing and after another glance up then down it was flashing briefly. I stayed in the throttle and after what seemed like an eternity it would give back the reins. I would have mistaken it for a loss of power but it was actually the computer stepping in. I wonder if there's a threshold where the light comes on vs. power cut by the electronics. I'm not looking for excuses here, just curious.

Were you driving in other cars drafts? I made sure I didn't in order to keep airflow at a maximum.

Temps at Road Atlanta reached 98 ambient and 132 track temp so I'm surprised the 1M lost power at VIR. What were the temps? Both tracks are similar in the amount of wide open throttle you use but it's obviously not apples to apples.

Actually, that brings up another question, what track configuration did BMW use?

It must have been cool to hop from one car to another.
Thanks.

Dan

We ran the patriot course section for the 1M test, tight turns where I assumed the 1M would shine. With the M settings initially with MDM on (which may or may not have been turned off during the test run ). You are right on about the traction control, the system is clearly kicking in without "blinking". It's more aggressive than the M3 ZCP MDM mode, probably due to the torque, but I was doing my best to feather the throttle. With that being said there is a good uphill straight where you can hit a good clip in fourth gear---> that's where I noticed the heat soak and torque loss. Each lap I loss 1-2 mph. Same feeling I had with the 335i, with 1M it happened when oil temps hit 270-275F. I'm so used to that feeling from my 335i that I may be more sensitive to others.

Sounds like you had a blast at RA, that's next on the menu for me then Watkins Glen.

FYI No cars to interrupt airflow, but no long straights for complete cool downs.