01-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
SpencerMH - I've been tempted to try 265/295 and now have more reason to do so.

And, if I did, it is likely that much of the added understeer could be dialed-out with shocks/sways.

Too much power on track? First, I'm past the point of rationality when it comes to modding Second, I'm planning to run pretty low boost (~23 psi).

The additional power will, undoubtedly, be a lot of fun but it's also important to me that the system itself will be far more robust that any stock-based turbo.

Previously I was around 420-430 whp on 93 pump and I expect to be 500 or so with the MOTIV. I am planning to retain mid-pipe cats.

And I suspect one of the biggest differences is that I'll now have another useful 1,000 rpm to play with on track, as it will now pull right up to redline.

Neil
I hear you on modding and i wouldn't hesitate to go 30mm stagger, I am sure that you're in a different universe than I but I love the 265/295 setup, it really allows you to modulate how quickly the rear comes out, it won't as much on its own when putting on partial throttle but anywhere near wot and you can't put enough tire back there with the torque surge, and it has been somewhat easy to modulate. On medium to high speed turns you can really control it, its just a bit abrupt in breaking loose at low speeds because you have to put a fair amount of power into it to break them free but I really liked it and i felt validated when the Dinan RS3 had the same stagger and was raved about.

I can see how the bigger turbo could help in that respect, the n54's powerband is wonderful on the street as you get into the power in so many circumstances, the torque is just always a mash of the foot away, but on track it really is apparent that turbos can't push anymore after 6,000 and I can't imagin the speed i could get up on the straights if i was ringing it our productively to 7k rpm's. Should be a riot there and I'm curious if you feel it a reasonable upgrade on the street or over the top adding significant lag to the equation.

I hope to keep the car forever and daily something else and if i do i was assuming i'd put RB turbos in when mine begin to wear but I love the idea of going to a manifold design with a mainstream outlet to get better, high end, turbo options.